Monday, September 8, 2008

100 Pushups - Update

Well, taking on the 100 pushups challenge, plus 100 crunches, plus 100 leg lifts, all on top of doing the Couch to 5K training program turned out to be a bit more than my body is ready for yet.

My body was feeling tired all the time. I had hoped that was a phase, and that I could "push through it". Instead, I learned to listen to my body only after I suffered a tweaked muscle in my abdomen. Seriously painful!! So, I gave myself a break from the pushups, crunches & leg lifts for about 5 days, and during that time, I reduced my running in favor of walking. I still ran some, but not at the pace I had been.

Well, the time recuperating has paid off. As of Saturday, I'm now back on track with the C25K program, and I ran 25 minutes straight. At the end of my run, I felt wonderful!! I actually felt bouncy, like my legs were being pulled up by strings.

And I've pared the 100 challenge to just pushups and situps for now. Once I've completed those, I'll work on 100 leg lifts.

On that note, today was my day to re-check my progress. I did 45 pushups in a row!! That feels incredible to me!

I also did 50 crunches in a row. For some reason, that doesn't feel like as big an accomplishment. I think it's because I used to be a fanatic for crunches. At one time, I cranked out 200 crunches a day. That, however, was years ago. On the flip side, I don't think I've ever felt happier with how my stomach looks. I mean, when I was in college, my stomach looked much better than it does now, but back then I thought I just looked like a bean pole. But now, looking at my abs, I can actually see some definition starting. That really made me feel great!

I'm looking forward to completing my first 5K race, which is scheduled for October 11th. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Gavin in a Suit October 07

Gavin in a Suit October 07
Sometimes the suit makes the man... look pudgy

Gavin in a Suit July 08

Gavin in a Suit July 08
Looking good in my new threads

Family June 07

Family June 07
Jake, Gavin & Lara on Vacation

Family June 08

Family June 08
Lara, Jake & Gavin